TURN OUT FOR EARTH HOUR!

In honour of EARTH HOUR, I have turned out the lights on my blog! (Ok, I confess, I totally stole that idea from Google!)

It's 8:06 and Earth Hour has begun. I'm sitting here in the dark all by myself with only the glow from my computer screen and a few candles to light things up. Tim had to go in to work to shut down power for this hour, Emily's at a neighbour's house and Jesse decided he might as well go to bed since it was too dark to play!
Actually he's always asleep by 8 p.m. and he was really tired so Earth Hour kind of lost it's appeal for him.
Apparently he and Emily misunderstood me last night though when I was explaining it to them because Tim said while I was in the shower this morning and when he went downstairs, they had all the lights out and the TV off. They thought it was 8 to 9 THIS MORNING!!

Just before 8 tonight I told Jesse we needed to get ready so we turned off the hockey game and he helped me gather up some candles to light. He put his pyjamas on and then we brushed his teeth by candlelight. I told him that a long time ago this was how people lived all the time...candles for light, no TV, no radio. He looks at me and says "I'm glad I wasn't alive in the olden days". Then of course he has to add..."were you??"

If you're not familiar with Earth Hour, here's a little blurb I took from their website...

On March 29, 2008 at 8 p.m., join millions of people around the world in making a statement about climate change by turning off your lights for Earth Hour, an event created by the World Wildlife Fund.
Earth Hour was created by WWF in Sydney, Australia in 2007, and in one year has grown from an event in one city to a global movement. In 2008, millions of people, businesses, governments and civic organizations in nearly 200 cities around the globe will turn out for Earth Hour. More than 100 cities across North America will participate, including the US flagships–Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix and San Francisco and Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

You can also click here to check out the Earth Hour Blog which talks about the different events going on worldwide.

Well, it's almost 9:00 p.m. I did it!! I know, not a big deal...just doing my part, albeit a small one!

So how did you celebrate Earth Hour? Hopefully by doing something a lot more fun than sitting in the dark and blogging!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, NO ONE around here ever mentioned this. I didn't know anything about it until I logged on yesterday afternoon and saw a CNN article about it. Hmmm.

So, I went to bed early last night with a headache, so by 8 the lights and appliances were off :-)

Sandy C said...

I didn't know about this until now... 10:35 on Sunday morning. You know, living in The States is sometimes so frustrating. They are so far behind Canada on most environmental issues. I remember when my older two were in Grades 1 - 4 in Canada, they learned so much about recycling and then, when we moved to Connecticut, there was nothing. They didn't even recycle, for Pete's sake. In Barrie we had a compost (this was 11 years ago). I don't even think they know what a compost is here in Florida. And...compost would do so well here in the heat, don't you think? Maybe I should be the first.

The other day we were at the beach and I needed to throw away my pop can. There were no recycle bins to be found. And when I found a trash bin it was full of cans. That could make such a difference if they had a recycle bin, you know?

Anonymous said...

The kids and I decided we would keep everything off all night. So after dinner, where we didn't need lights anyway, until this morning - no lights. We had games ready to play but instead opted for our own version of American Idol (Marygrace Idol - my street name - brittany called it). We then walked the neighbourhood and will be reprimanding those who didn't participate. Chatted with other neighbours doing the same thing. Fun event and great evening. Love it that you turned out your blog! - marianne

Holly said...

It shocked me to see so many lights still on while we sat around at Girls Night (with candles and glow necklaces). Big businesses were glowing - at 8pm on a Saturday night?!

I am a big believer in lights off unless absolutely necessary. There is a house near mine that looks like a landing strip all the time. 3 floors of LIGHTS!

Sandy -- I was in shock when I went to GA to visit a friend and we were served our drinks in Styrofoam cups. OMG! How can so many places that 'seem' the same be so different?